The Tukino Ski Patrol is a voluntary group of members of the Aorangi, Desert Alpine and Tukino Alpine Sports Clubs, all of which have lodges at Tukino.
Any member of the above clubs or other persons who are interested in becoming a volunteer ski patroller at Tukino can apply to join the patrol.
The minimum requirements for a Tukino Ski Patroller are:
Possess a current St John First Aid Certificate or equivalent.
Have at least an intermediate skiing / boarding ability.
Have a reasonable fitness level.
Have a good sense of adventure and humour.
The patrol meets with the Tukino Skifield Manager at 08:30am each morning for a daily briefing and patrols the Tukino Skifield until after it closes at approximately 4:30pm. Patrollers normally get a short (lunch) break during the day.
Personal ski or snowboard and good cold/wet weather clothing in case of wet or cold conditions is required. Remember that you may be patrolling in conditions that are less than favourable.
Daily duties include:
- Pre-opening safety routines.
- Putting out and monitoring compliance with safety signs.
- Checking tow safety circuit operation.
- Teach skiers and boarders the correct (and safe) use of the nutcracker tows.
- Checking for safe skiing and tow use.
- Public relations with the skiers and boarders at Tukino.
- Patrolling the slopes for any accidents.
- Treatment and transport of any injuries.
- Assisting the Snow Safety Officer with avalanche safety work.
- Assisting the Tow Operator with the safe operation of the tows.
- Closing “Sweep” of the skifield when the tows close for the day.
- Regular training exercises.
There is no payment for patrolling at Tukino; however Volunteer Ski Patrollers do not pay any tow fees if they are rostered on duty. Rostered ski patrollers also have their on the mountain accommodation / food provided free of charge. Volunteer patrollers need to be a member of one of the ski clubs at Tukino (including NZAC and OPC) to take advantage of this free accommodation / food.
Training up to New Zealand Certificate in Snowsport Patrol (Level 4) is offered over a 1-2 year period in return for your voluntary patrolling at Tukino for at least 3 weekends per year. This training consists of on field training and assessment in the NZQA Unit Standards associated with the certificate. Regular on field training and exercises are also run to ensure that all patrollers are familiar with the patrol duties, equipment and emergency procedures at Tukino.
Here are several web sites that will be of interest to those of you who are studying for the New Zealand Certificate in Snowsport Patrol (Level 4).
New Zealand Qualification Authority website.
Skills Active Aotearoa website.
Interested in becoming a Tukino Ski Patroller?
Contact the Tukino Safety Services Manager.
Email: TMCA@tukino.org or Phone: 0800-TUKINO, (0800-885 466)